Skip to content

From the book ‘One Size Doesn’t Fit All’

January 16, 2008

The following are numbers from an article in the January 27 Christian Standard entitled Size Matters. They came from the book One Size Doesn’t Fit All by Gary McIntosh.

50% of all churches are under 100 in number.

80% fall under the 200 member number.

10% are between 200 and 400 members.

10% are more than 400 and of those 1% are classified as mega which means over 2,000 people attend.

What do these numbers say to you? Anything? What do these numbers say about a good way, better way or best way? Nothing?

I am interested to get your thoughts as I chew on this information.

3 Comments leave one →
  1. January 17, 2008 12:22 pm

    A few related thoughts:

    About 80% of churches being under 200: Churches tend to resist the shift from single-cell (where most everyone knows most everybody else) to multi-cell. Well over 100 members in size begins to push that boundary very hard. As the congregation grows, it just feels different; old-timers begin to talk about how, back in the day, you always knew and were so happy to see anyone else in the congregation, and how that now you might barely recognize a fellow member. I think that to them it feels like they’re moving away from Mayberry R.F.D.

    About size and perception of a church: It’s too bad that what only 20% have becomes the goal for the other 80%. In some cases, for various reasons, a church just never is going to become what we’d call large. That shouldn’t create an inferiorty complex.

    Blessed are the church planters, for they advance the kingdom.

  2. January 17, 2008 4:48 pm

    Excellent post brother.
    Thak you so much for the information.
    I am currently reading “RELEASING THE POWER OF THE SMALLER CHURCH” edited by Shawn MCMullen. It has been so far a very helpful tool for my small congregation. Thanks for the statistics.
    I hope you a great day!

  3. January 18, 2008 5:55 pm

    Frank, I agree and how should that impact what we do?

    I plan on returning to this discussion in the future, hopefully you will join me.

Leave a Reply to Frank Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: